After receiving more than 240 nominations from citizens, the Department of Elementary and Secondary Education (DESE) has released the names of seven finalists for the 2020 Missouri Teacher of the Year, five of which are current MSTA members. This year’s finalists represent five different regions throughout the state and highlight the broad range of course options that are helping prepare Missouri students for success beyond graduation. The Teacher of the Year program spotlights the positive impact excellent teachers have on their students. Congratulations to these outstanding members!
- Dan Brinkmann, Washington – automotive technology, Four Rivers Career Center
- Melissa Grandel, Fordland R-III – English language arts, Fordland High School
- Zachary Hamby, Ava R-I – English language arts, Ava High School
- Denise Henggeler, Northeast Nodaway Co. R-V – fourth grade, Northeast Nodaway Elementary
- Kevin Lay, Gasconade Co. R-II – physics/physical science/STEM, Owensville High School
The winner, finalists, semifinalists and Regional Teachers of the Year will be honored at a banquet in Jefferson City on Monday, October 21. The new Missouri Teacher of the Year will serve as the state’s nominee for the 2020 National Teacher of the Year.