Mean Bosses/Personnel Files

Mean Bosses

Mean Bosses

The Missouri Commission on Human Rights (MCHR) investigates complaints of discrimination in employment, and discrimination-related harassment because of race, color, religion, national origin, ancestry, sex, disability, age (40 or older). MSTA members and lots of other people ask the following two questions often enough for them to appear on the Missouri Commission on Human Rights’ website.

My boss is treating me differently than other employees. I am constantly being yelled at, criticized and harassed. Is there anything you can do?

MCHR cannot investigate these claims unless the boss′ actions are due to one of our covered categories. There are no laws to protect employees from this kind of treatment unless the boss is only directing this behavior toward one protected class of workers and not others.

Can my employer talk to me any kind of way?

There is no law against a rude employer unless the employer makes offensive racial or sexual comments or offensive comments about age, disability or other protected categories. There may be no illegal discrimination that is a basis of harassment that can be pursued through the MCHR, but you should check your school board policies for other unwelcome behaviors that you may be able to report and resolve. For example, many districts have a board policy on staff-staff relations that generally requires civility among staff. Uncivil behavior may also fall under the district’s bullying policy if it applies to adults as well as students. If a board policy applies, you can file a grievance to have your particular issues addressed up the chain of command to the school board.

For more information on these issues, see the related article on Illegal Discrimination, Harassment, or Retaliation.

Personnel Files

No federal law or Missouri state law requires your employer to allow you to inspect or copy your personnel files. There may be a written board policy in your district concerning personnel files. If there is one, you must follow the procedure set forth in the policy. Even in the absence of a written board policy, many school districts provide employees access to their personnel records to review and copy portions that the employee may need for employment-related purposes. Because you may not have easy or immediate access to your records, it is important for you make it a habit to ask for copies of any documentation related to your work, such as evaluations or professional-development certifications, at the time they are presented to you, or reviewed with you.

If you are certified or licensed in an area, your original certificate or license belongs to you. The district must return it to you at your request if you leave the district.

Last updated by on June 6, 2018
Was this article useful?24