Whether you are a beginning teacher, a veteran custodian, or any public school employee, here are a few tips that will help reduce your potential for liability.
- Never leave your students unattended.
- Do not drive students in privately owned vehicles without written authorization from the
- Avoid being alone with students.
- Read, understand, and comply with all handbooks and board policies.
- Respect the confidentiality of all students and staff.
- Document accidents or incidents as soon as possible, whether required to do so or not.
- Avoid using force except to protect yourself or others.
- Apply discipline and other rules consistently – no favorites!
- Make all visitors, including parents, sign in and wear badges (see # 8.)
- Always ask for help, preferably from a supervisor, if you are unsure how to handle a situation.