MSTA is excited to announce the launch of the Leader Badge! The Leader Badge will digitally recognize you for your effort on behalf of the Missouri State Teachers Association. We know how hard you work to represent teachers in Missouri, and the Leader Badge will serve as a digital symbol of distinction for going above and beyond in the name of MSTA. There are three components leaders must complete to earn the badge: 1) required criteria, 2) book review and 3) supplemental criteria.
1) Required Criteria
You must have been an attendee at MSTA’s Leadership Conference and also hold a leadership position. Qualifying roles:
- State board or officer
- State committees
- Region board
- Region committees (both standing and ad hoc)
- Local officers (President, Vice President, Treasurer, Secretary, Membership Chair)
- Local committees
2) Book Review
For the book review component, participants will read a professional development book and complete an Amazon-like review to be shared on the MSTA website. Reviews will be used as part of a repository on educational professional development books to assist MSTA members searching for resources. The book review should include the following elements:
- A rating for the book on a 5-star rating system
- A statement regarding why you chose this particular book – what problem were you looking to solve or what professional skill were you looking to enhance
- A synopsis of the book’s key takeaways
- An explanation of how you applied what you learned from the book
- A recommendation on the book – did the book help you enhance your craft or solve your original problem?
- Demographic information – school district size, grade level and years of teaching experience
3) Supplemental Criteria
The supplemental list contains 14 criteria of which at least 8 must be completed to earn the badge. The following series of questions will determine if you have completed enough criteria to earn the badge.
1. Did you attend MSTA’s Annual Convention in 2019 or 2020?
2. Did you attend an MSTA Open Hearing in 2019 or 2020?
3. Did you attend an MSTA Salary Workshop in 2019 or 2020?
4. Did you attend an MSTA Capitol Visit in 2019 or 2020?
5. Were you a regular participant in a district-level salary/benefit negotiation process in your district in 2019 or 2020?
6. Do you actively participate in and support your local Future Teachers of America (FTA) chapter?
7. Did you make a personal donation to the Missouri State Teachers Foundation, Impact, or Friends of Bunker Hill in 2019 or 2020?
8. Did you attend an MSTA Region meeting other than an Open Hearing in 2019 or 2020?
9. Were you a presenter at MSTA’s Annual Convention or Leadership Conference in 2019 or 2020?
10. Did you have an article published or were you featured for a leadership activity on MSTA’s blog or in the School & Community magazine in 2019 or 2020?
11. Have you been a member of MSTA for 10 consecutive years?
12. Have you ever attended the New Professionals Training Camp?
13. Are you a current instructor/presenter on MSTA’s online learning management system?
14. Were you active in the recruitment of new members in your school district in 2019 or 2020? (This includes an active role in back-to-school recruiting events or personal recruitment activities.)
Click the button below to fill out the Leader Badge form when you have completed all three required components.
Have questions? Click the button below to send us an email.
Search Professional Learning Resources
Search our professional learning resources to answer some common school employment questions.