American Education Week, Nov. 18-22, 2019, sponsored in cooperation with the U.S. Department of Education, is an opportunity for MSTA/CTAs to build new alliances with the community. The goal is to emphasize the important role educators play in helping today’s students succeed.
You and your CTA can use American Education Week to:
- Acquaint the public with successful programs, activities and teaching techniques in your school.
- Secure community support for measures that will improve public schools.
- Help students recognize the importance of American education.
- Improve staff morale and enthusiasm.
- Increase parental involvement.
These are lofty goals for a week’s worth of activities, but think of American Education Week as a place to start.
To get everyone involved, form a planning committee with school administrators, parent groups and student councils. If your CTA has a public relations committee, American Education Week would be a visible and positive project for that group to tackle.
MSTA provides many tools to help CTAs make American Education Week an effective community observance. You¹ll find many of these aids, including a news release and sample proclamation in the links on the right side of this page.